It is recommended to install Helipad using Pip. Just run
pip install helipad
which will install all the required packages automatically. The requirements are:
- Python 3.7 or higher — dicts do not maintain order in prior versions, so prior versions may have unexpected results. Helipad does not run on Python 2.
- Matplotlib — Supports graphing time series output
- Pandas — Manages data collection and export
These are not required, but if present, will make the experience somewhat nicer.
- Networkx — For network analysis
- Code — Enables a debug console when run from the Terminal on MacOS
- Pmw — Enables tooltip functionality for control panel widgets
Building a Model
There is a bootstrap model with the minimal structure necessary to build a model, along with code comments to guide you. For something more substantive, there is also a walkthrough for the process of creating a price discovery model with random matching. It will also be important to understand hooks to create models.
When you get to creating your own models, the hook and function reference will be an invaluable guide. Examples will be filled in, and feel free to contribute your own notes and snippets.
For more advanced users, there is also a tutorial for creating completely custom Matplotlib visualizations that can be used as subplots in the